User Counter

Is there a feature that you would like to see added to Enuuk Auction Platform?
fixedbay

User Counter

Post by fixedbay » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:01 pm

Hello,
I summarize my problems with the software.
When I want to share an article with fb or twitter images do not appear but only the link to the product and this does not help the sale.
There must be at the bottom how many users are connected and how many visitors to the site, I have to see real and not the next day on google analitics.
An example is at the bottom of http://www.fixedforum.it
Stefano

RWAP
Site Admin

Re: User Counter

Post by RWAP » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:07 am

A few things...

The inclusion of images when sharing with fb and or twitter seems to be a limitation of the third party addThis.com tag, which appears on listings.

I have raised this on the Addthis forums in case there is an option there already...

I did not realise it was possible to include images on Twitter!

My own SEO module includes changes to the code to enable you to use toold such as RSS Graffiti on facebook to pull across the RSS feed to that site which may be a better approach if you create a Facebook page for your site.

It is fairly easy to add a counter to the bottom of the page to indicate the number of registered users online and how many people are on the site at the time (I have already implemented this for one of the sites I developed), based on the IP address of the users. The problem is that if your site is still in its early stages, it may be offputting to see just 1 or 2 people are on the site!

I have also thought that it may be useful to indicate when a seller of an item is online too, in case a user has a question they wish to ask about an auction - what do people think about this as an add-on module?

As for seeing real-time analysis of of page views, google analytics can only handle previous days statistics - not real time, although there are probably other analytics tools out there which do provide information updated regularly. The other option is just to use AWStats on your server, and create a CRON job to update it every 15 minutes (for example), although this will impact on the responsiveness of your site!

RWAP
Site Admin

Post by RWAP » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:30 pm

Unfortunately, it looks as though addThis will not add an image link sharing, as most of the platforms they post to only accept a URL.

That said, they have provided some guidance for ensuring that Facebook pick up the image when you Like an item.

Add the following to the header:

Code: Select all

<? if(substr($template,0,12)=="offerDetails"){ ?>
	    <meta property="og:title" content="<?=$title?>"/>
	    <meta property="og:type" content="product"/>
	    <meta property="og:url" content="<?=$siteOptions['protocol']?>://<?=$HTTPHost.$relativePath.'offer/details/'.urlencode(str_replace(' ','_',str_replace('/','%',$name))).'-'.$id?>"/>
	    <meta property="og:image" content="<?=$siteOptions['protocol']?>://<?=$HTTPHost.$relativePath.$defaultImage?>"/>
	    <meta property="og:site_name" content="<?=$siteOptions['siteName']?>"/>
	    <meta property="fb:admins" content="USER_ID"/>
    <? } ?>
NOTE that you will need to replace the USER_ID with your user ID on facebook, so that you can administer the link on facebook if someone likes the item!

This seems a good suggestion and I will pass this onto phpAuction

RWAP
Site Admin

Post by RWAP » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:13 pm

As for the user counter module, I have now added this to www.sellmyretro.com - it appears as xx online next to the number of registered users in the header.

This is currently just based on the users IP address (the IP address is removed from the table if the user has not viewed a page in the last 5 minutes).

It would be fairly easy to adapt this to show registered users online as well - but is that necessary?

RWAP
Site Admin

Post by RWAP » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:19 pm

For those interested in adding a user counter - please see:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=224