Very disappointed !

Is there a feature that you would like to see added to Enuuk Auction Platform?
smihai81

Very disappointed !

Post by smihai81 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:18 am

I am searching for a good auction script, I have tried them all, but with less than satisfactory results. The major, major issue with all the scripts that are out there is the lack of filters, I don't seem to find a capable script that has the ability to define filters.

If for example you go on ebay on a category like monitors, on the side menu you can apply various filters to refine your search, you can select filters for the monitor size, brand, new, old, wide, non-wide, etc. This type of filtering is crucial for an respectable site, you simply can't expect the user to browse blindly through 10.000 items in a category until the user finds what he/she is looking for, that is simply not the right way of doing business. I simply don't understand why nobody is thinking about this major issue, it seems that coders simply think mostly at priceing their scripts but far less about their functionality, they charge a s**t load of money for their scripts, but don't thing hard enough about deserving those money ! Why should I pay 1000 $ for a script that is simply not capable even of setting up filters ?

Don't get me wrong, Enuuk auction Script looks nice, has the best look that I've seen so far, but I'm very frustrated that it is so close to beeing a good auction script, and has stopped at 90%.

Remember, the key word is FILTERS !!! This is one hell of a big must have feature ! The ability to set up filters for various things, not predefined filters, but the admin to be able somehow to define those filters in CPanel.

RWAP
Site Admin

Re: Very disappointed !

Post by RWAP » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:31 am

I agree that the ability to fine tune search results is a major aspect of this, although you have to remember that sites like ebay have 1000s of hours of man-hours put into programming each year, and it has been developed over 15 years or so!

There are some filters available in the search menu, but not many. If you have a look at the search function on www.sellmyretro.com you will see that I have added some more filters as well as developing a more natural search function, so that the results you would expect to be more closely related to the earch term appear towards the top of the results.

The problem with having the ability to the admin backend to have user-defined filters is that they tend to be very specific for each category type, but yes, this would be a great feature and could be programmed without too much difficulty in reality, but the costs of programming it would be around £1000-£1500.

If there was sufficient call for this amongst the users, then maybe they could club together to spread the costs, to provide this as a bolt on module (if I wrote it) or even pay phpAuction to write the code and incorporate it within the main script.

smihai81

Post by smihai81 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:39 am

Trust me, if someone could do this thing, it will sell like wild fire !

And another good feature would be, in the main page to have a full working tree of categories that displays not only the main categories but also the subcategories.

- Computers
| - Motherboards
| - Cpu
| - Ram
- Auto & Moto
| - 2 dors
| - 4 dors

A full working tree in the same window and menu.

Look at the Joomla auction Factory demo, look at the nice full category tree it displays and at how usefull it is:
http://auctions.thefactory.ro/

Enuuk already looks nice, but if it could have this two features would be dinamite, would be literally the best auction script in the world !

RWAP
Site Admin

Post by RWAP » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:35 pm

I have actually already implemented a category tree using a different method - see www.onlineauctioneer.ca

RWAP
Site Admin

Post by RWAP » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:54 am

I have now created a filter MOD for Enuuk - although I don't have a live site with it on at the moment for demonstration (as obviously the client I developed it for wants to launch their own site first).

Basically the admin can create a set of filters for each category - they enter:
- the name of the filter
- possible values

The filters can also be given a type -
- Quicksearch (basically the filters appear as a bulleted list, and clicking on one applies that filter)
- Tickbox (select multiple values)
- Radio Button
- Drop Down Box
- Drop Down Box (select multiple values)

Sub-categories each inherit their parent's filters and you can add new filters at any level.

When a seller lists an item, the offerForm displays a list of all the filters for their chosen category, and the seller then selects which value is applicable to their auction (or selects other / not known).

When browsing a category, all of the filters for that category (and its parent) appear on the left hand side below the category tree box. A buyer can combine each of the filters (except for Quicksearch type) and then click on a Filter button to update the results.

What do people think about this implementation?