Handling Multiple Currencies

General Discussion about the commercial Enuuk Auction Platform
RWAP
Site Admin

Handling Multiple Currencies

Post by RWAP » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:26 am

I am currently working on a module to allow Ennuk to support multiple currencies. As you can imagine, there is a lot of code which has to be changed because prices appear on nearly every page!

You can see the module as it is currently implemented on my live site - www.sellmyretro.com

Basically, it has the following features at the moment:
a) All fees are still charged in one overall currency
b) When browsing the site, there is a drop down at the top to select language and currency for viewing.
c) If you set the currency to (say) Euros, if an item has been listed in GBP, the price is shown as an approximate figure (we fetch the conversion value from PayPal each morning). To highlight this, the approximate figure is shown in italics - you can hover over it to read the actual price.

When you go to an offer details page (eg to purchase an item), the price (etc) is shown in the currency used for that listing. In that case, the price is shown in normal text - hovering over the price shows the approximate value in your own currency.

d) When sellers list an item (or edit a listing) they can select the currency to be used for that listing. If they edit a listing which has previously been listed in a different currency, any bids on that item (eg for LOT auctions), retain their original currency setting.

e) All sales and payments between users are completed in the currency set by the seller.

If anyone can think of anything else that needs to be added, let me know!