Reverse auction decrement

General Discussion about the commercial Enuuk Auction Platform
bamse

Reverse auction decrement

Post by bamse » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:16 pm

I looked into reverse auctions recently and it seems that the new bid cannot be more than: current bid value minus 1 unit of currency.

This is due to the line:
return ($this->currentPrice -1)<0 ? 0: $this->currentPrice -1 ; //just one less is enough
in class/ReverseAuction->calculateNextBid()

Somehow I don't understand why "-1" is used here and not the bid increment as in standard auctions. Is there any good reason for this?

RWAP
Site Admin

Re: Reverse auction decrement

Post by RWAP » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:35 pm

No - I will have a look at the latest sources tomorrow - but I agree that it should use a bid increment....

The problem is more on how the bid increment is set up, because of the fact that bids are coming down (rather than up) - although using the same steps as the standard auction probably makes sense - as the bid increment needs to reduce as the bids reduce...

bamse

Post by bamse » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:18 pm

That code is for v2.11 which is the newest version I have. No idea whether there have been any changes in v3.

RWAP
Site Admin

Post by RWAP » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:06 pm

v3.3 uses the same code

RWAP
Site Admin

Post by RWAP » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:21 pm

v3.3 introduces a change to the makeBid() function - whereby the calculateNextBid returns a value which (according to Enuuk)
"is actually just a recommendation, which has no limitation at all. A new bidder can bid for any value; usually lower (because it's a reverse auction) but it can be higher. Another customer suggested us the last case... let's say your offer is "paint my house for less that $300", however, somebody would want to say "I'll do for $350 but using a high quality paint". So any bid value is allowed."

Certainly up until then the bid had to be at least 1 less than the existing current price.