Suitable Hosting Providers

Discussions about the Enuuk Platform in general - both the GPL and Commercial versions
RWAP
Site Admin

Suitable Hosting Providers

Post by RWAP » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:31 am

Which are the most suitable hosting providers for the Enuuk platform?

iPowerWeb does not have the right features to support the system
GoDaddy works, but runs the websites much too slowly

MagmaHost used to provide good high speed servers for running PHP - they have Zend Optimiser and IonCube installed, as well as LiteSpeed servers which are a speedier implementation of Unix. They also normally provide speedy support. However, they had to install a hardware firewall and we did have to persuade them to optimise their server and MySQL for better performance in order to prevent errors when running the site, including "SQL Server has gone away" messages. For a low cost option, MagmaHost seem quite well suited - however, see the warning below!

Bearing in mind the above, we have decided to use PHPWebHosting - fast and efficient, even though they do not include either the Zend Optimiser or IonCube.

RWAP
Site Admin

Re: Suitable Hosting Providers

Post by RWAP » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:01 am

Unfortunately, we have had so many problems with Magmahost.com that we cannot advise anyone to use this hosting company now - we have had two long periods (several days) in the past couple of months where the server is down and they no longer respond to support tickets. The phone number provided on their website has not belonged to them since at least January 2010 and they don't respond to emails or letters, sent to their registered office.

Magmahost is now the worst web-hosting company that we have experienced and we will not be using them at all and would recommend that you also search the internet for other comments on this company if you are considering using them.

RWAP
Site Admin

Post by RWAP » Thu May 19, 2011 11:53 am

After having used various hosts - Enuuk is not really suitable for a shared hosting platform - we would therefore highly recommend switching to a VPS (Virtual Private Server) with Centos 5.5 installed.

We would recommend a well known reliable company such as Fasthosts, as you will ideally need to ensure access to 1GB of memory and a dual core processor as a minimum. If you are really power hungry, you might want to consider one of their dedicated server packages, but certainly for start-up auction sites, use the Virtual Hosting options.

We then run www.sellmyretro.com on a VPS, with Centos 5.5 and have then installed the following to improve performance:
- Zend Engine
- eAccelerator
- modpagespeed

We have also installed the latest Suhosin patch to help protect the server - instructions for installing this on Centos appear at: http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/rhel-linux ... rotection/

However, you will need to check what the latest version number is!

RWAP
Site Admin

Post by RWAP » Fri May 20, 2011 9:53 am

Just a quick note that if you install modpagespeed, you will need to alter

etc/httpd/conf.d/mod_pagespeed.conf to include the following lines:

Code: Select all

ModPagespeedDisallow 			*/jquery.tinymce.js
    ModPagespeedDisallow 			*/tiny_mce.js

ModPagespeedEnableFilters collapse_whitespace,outline_css,outline_javascript,rewrite_javascript
    ModPagespeedEnableFilters combine_css,rewrite_css,elide_attributes

ModPagespeedImgMaxRewritesAtOnce        8
You will also need to ensure that the file permissions for /var/www/mod_pagespeed/ (and all its subdirectories) are set to 0777

RWAP
Site Admin

Post by RWAP » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:59 am

I had been using phpWebhosting.com's VPS for sellmyretro.com

However, I found that as the site grew, and the number of auctions and users increased, I found the VPS was groaning under the memory requirements.

I found that a minimum of 2GB RAM is required (the phpWebhosting.com VPS comes with only 512MB as standard), and even then, with 500+ auctions and 500+ users, I was sometimes running out of memory.

Having weighed up my options, I decided to use UK2.net - they offer scableable cloud hosting (VPS), so I decided to plump for a setup with 5GB of RAM and a 6.5GHz processor.

I have kept the learning points from the thread on memory management (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=178&start=0) and used the same settings on this server.

I am only using 1.7 GB of memory at the moment (although I think that sometimes it does go over the 2GB when the cron job is busy, hence why I sometimes had problems on the previous 2GB box). The processor also ensures a really good responsive speed. Oddly, I did run out of memory when I was using their scheduled backup to backup the whole disk image (no idea why that should be, as the site wasn't even live at the time!), so I have disabled that, and just set up backups of the SQL database using webmin.

A 20GB hard disk is more than enough for Enuuk (I am only using 3.75GB at the moment).

I have been pleased with their VPS support so far - they answer questions really quickly and in fairly easy to understand language.

At least I also know that as my site (and traffic) increases, I will be able to bolt-on more memory, hard disk and processor power as required - UK2.net

RWAP
Site Admin

Post by RWAP » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:12 am

Just an update on this - as the popularity of sellmyretro.com has improved, I found that more and more RAM was required on my VPS running Centos 5 (in fact it peaked at 10GB RAM at one point).

However, I have now migrated it to a new VPS with [url=hhttps://www.uk2.net/referral/?referral_uuid=D1A ... 6AEC9F0447]UK2[/url] running Centos 7 x64 and RAM usage levels are back down to a more reasonable 3GB or so, so it is worth checking that any hosting provider can provide Centos 7